The Washington City Council gets updates on water, a new service contract for City Manager Joe Denen & update on the preservation work on the B & O Caboose at Eyeman Park.
City Manager Denen reported that officials are keeping a close eye on the water supply to residents. Due to the long dry summer & fall the situation is being monitored to see if a 120 day notice will be announced by the end of November.
Denen stressed that its only a landmark in which residents would be encouraged to watch more closely their water usage.
It is not a crisis situation yet & between now & the next council meeting things may improve especially if well #9 can be put on line. There was a little concern of doing that & recent water samples have been sent off to the state to make sure that the well water would be safe to be put on the system.
Denen stated that at the next council meeting on November 28th a updated report will be presented.
In legislation, an ordinance to allow Manager Denen to work out a lease agreement with Second Chance Learning Center at 420 West Oakland Avenue was approved.
Two more properties that are public nuisances located at 734 South Fayette Street & 520 Carolyn Road will be coming down after the ordinance received 1st reading that would allow City Manager Denen to start abatement of the properties.
Council also held first reading on an ordinance offering a new three year service to City Manager Joe Denen. The contract would pay Denen $73,681.60 beginning January 1st,2013 with any change in compensation coming from the Finance & Personal Committee recommendations to council in the 2nd & 3rd year of the contract which would expire December 31st, 2015.
The reading passed 6-1 as City Councilman Jim Chrisman voted against the ordinance.
The Fayette County Railroad Preservation Society made an outstanding presentation on the work going on at Eyeman Park on the C-1939 B & O Caboose.
The caboose that was built in 1929 & was used for 47 years before being retired in 1977 & was moved to Eyeman Park in 1980. After many years of wet weather the caboose condition worsened & a group of local residents founded the non-profit organization in 2010 to begin preserving the caboose to its original structure & color.